Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Here We Go Again!

So, after feeding my youngest child (who is 10ms. old) yogurt for the first time, she broke out with whelps on her face all around her mouth. She also cried and did not sleep well for over 3 days after that and had some serious tummy issues. I called our allergy dr. immediately and got her in for an appointment. We went yesterday and she tested positive for milk and egg. The egg reaction site was so large that the dr. prescibed an epi pen for her. My little baby needs an epi pen!

I am so glad I took her in now and did not wait. I fought with doctors for several years to get my son tested and finally, right before he turned 5, we found out what he was allergic to. If we had known when he was younger, it would have saved a lot of needless sickness for him.

I post this to encourage parents who are suspicious of a food allergy to get their child tested. My son's pediatrician at the time would not listen to me and did not want to test him. My son went an entire week without eating when he was 2. He would only eat about 4 foods until he was 5. He had complete melt downs at nearly every meal, especially if you introduced a new food. I don't mean a screaming toddler fit. He would completely shut down and scream for over an hour at times. We would have to take him out of the kitchen and put him in his room so he could calm down. It was exhausting.

I had several people try to tell me he had autism. I took him to a feeding clinic and was told I was letting him manipulate me. Even my first allergy dr. here in Birmingham did not want to test him after I had already tested positive for 14 food allergies. If you are worried your child has a food allergy and your dr. will not listen to you, please go to one who will listen. Your child's health is too important to take one dr. at his or her word.

My son is a completely different child now. Finding out what was really going on in his body has made a world of difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment