Sunday, March 13, 2011

Allergies Can Blow Your Food Budget, Big Time!

Sometimes it frustrates me to see all the money other women I know are saving at the grocery store by using coupon blogs and what not. That's great if you don't have food allergies. However, it does not work for our family to buy all the BOGOs at Publix and use coupons because most of that stuff we cannot eat. Again, I've had to adapt what other moms are doing to save money and apply it to our situation. It can be really expensive buying specialty food items and allergy-friendly snacks, but it doesn't have to be.

Here are a few things that have helped us, feel free to comment on what has helped you save $:

Whole Foods: I LOVE Whole Foods, but I have not been in there since Sept. 2010 because I cannot afford a trip very often! One of my SILs calls it "Whole Paycheck" and she's about right on that comment.

Whole Foods does have a coupon book and at the customer service desk they have a box of coupons already separated and in bundles. If you look in the book and only need a coupon for Tamari, then go to customer service and get a few Tamari coupons. If you are like me, take the stack! Also remember to take your reusable bag. They will give you 10 cents off per bag you use. They also take manufacturer coupons. Around the third week of every month, they give out store coupons for the next month. This is usually for free milk or other sales.

Last year they also had Tax-Free Day on April 15th and did not charge sales tax. This was great since the Birmingham store is in Mt. Brook where the sales tax is over 10%! I will post if they have that again this year. Their sales are also usually really good, but you are paying a LOT of sales tax plus the trip out there.

Publix: Publix does have a decent "Green Wise" selection of organic items. However they cost more and rarely go on sale. Publix also has a "Green Wise" magazine you can sign up for on their website. The subscription is free and has coupons in every edition.

I keep a stash of coupons for items we buy and on the occasion that it does go on sale at Publix, I buy as much as I can. Publix will also take coupons out of the Whole Foods coupon book and Publix will double them under 50 cents. Often you can come out cheaper getting it at Publix with a Whole Foods coupon.

Publix does carry a lot of allergy-friendly items and most stores will do their best to get an item for you.

Wal-Mart: Not all Wal-Marts carry the same thing. There are a few Wal-Marts around B'ham that carry more allergy friendly items, but most I have found do not. My MIL has not been able to find many allergy friendly items at the Wal-Mart she shops in Georgia. I don't know how you would go about requesting items.

Sam's Club: Sam's has gotten much better in the last few years. They carry Apple & Eve juice boxes, Eggland's Best eggs, Silk Soy Milk, Organic Horizon Milk, and Cliff Kid's fruit twists. I've also noticed several gf items for my son: pepperoni, bacon and Orida french fries. Their Member's Mark milk is also hormone free.

Costco: Costco carries a LOT of organic items. I've actually been considering switching our membership from Sam's to Costco. I may have to go again with a friend and see if it would be worth it to switch. Their prices to seem a little higher and the membership is also higher.

Amazon.com: I order a good bit of snacks and flours off Amazon. The only cracker I have found that my son can eat are Nairn's Oatcakes imported from Scotland. Yes, you read that right, Scotland! The day I drove to Whole Foods and they were no longer on the shelf is a day I will never forget. I about had a fit in store! We have to send his lunch every day and he has to take snacks with him everywhere he goes. Thankfully, I went online and found them on Amazon. I also order Enjoy Life snack bars for me off Amazon and many Bob's Red Mill items.

You have to price compare Amazon to the store! Sometimes I come out better getting an item at Publix or Wal-Mart than ordering a case online. Also with Amazon, any order over $25 gets free shipping.

1 comment:

  1. jennifer, this blog is a great idea. love this post in particular. it seems like not just allergic people would benefit from the blog... but also people who are looking to add some variety to their diet. i am looking forward to coming back. i'll add a link on my blog.

    ReplyDelete