Thursday, March 17, 2011

Keeping it Clean: Preventing Cross-contamination

Cross-contamination is a big deal. It is a huge reason why we do not eat out often and why I take food with us (or send it with my son) everywhere we go. In the end, no one is going to know or be as conscious of our allergies as my husband and I will.


My son is allergic to wheat and rice and I am not. I cook rice or noodles often with a meal because it is one of the few sides most of us can have. I have to take extra precautions to make sure none of my son's food touches anything that has touched wheat or rice. This means using separate bowls and utensils, even separate pans. I have also stopped cooking items for him in stoneware because you cannot wash it with soap and it absorbs whatever has cooked on it. I am really worried this could cross-contaminate his food. I make his bread in a bread machine and that is the only thing I will make in it.


I also have to constantly clean my kitchen. I probably clean my kitchen at a minimum of 3 times a day. Often more than that. I am also constantly washing my hands. If I touch wheat or rice and then have to touch something for him, then I have to wash my hands.


I've had parents tell me the school would accommodate his allergies, but I am terrified they would not be careful with cross-contamination. All it takes is just a small exposure to make him sick which triggers his asthma and ends up in several doctors visits, prescriptions and spending a small fortune. I'd rather just avoid it altogether and not worry when I send him to school every day. This year I even baked a large batch of gf cookies that his teacher keeps in the classroom for special events and birthdays.


Eating out is a big challenge. Many restaurants do not accommodate people with food allergies. Especially those that serve pre-made dishes. However, I have found that many will post full menus on their websites and will often post allergy friendly menus. I've even printed out a few of these guides and put them in a notebook that I leave in my van.

Also when eating out you have to be aware that not all food is made the same. My son can only eat french fries at Chick-fil-a because it is just the potatoe, salt and then fried in peanut oil. Fries anywhere else usually have some form of a wheat/milk coating to retain heat on them. He can only eat Hebrew National hotdogs because there are no wheat or corn fillers in them. We can only buy Boar's Head deli meat for the same reason.

Post you comments about what you do to prevent cross-contamination or how you have learned to eat out with allergies. I'd love to find out what works for other people too.

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't take chances with school lunch either. One would like to believe that schools will hold up on there end of the deal, however, feeding a large amount of children must distract from care of one child. It is a wise idea to take extra caution when dealing with school lunch; dealing with any food other than that which you have cooked merits caution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we do not have allergy problems at our house, but one restaurant I've noticed always asks if we have special allergy concerns is PF Chang's. I don't know if that means anything, but they do seem to make a special effort with it since they always ask if anyone has allergies as soon as you sit down. Just thought I would pass that on.

    ReplyDelete